[TUHS] cat -v and other complaints

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Mon Oct 1 07:32:05 AEST 2018

> > "Unavailable on the console" is kind of a cheap shot when talking about
> > an operating system that deliberately doesn't support consoles.  Part of
> > the point was outgrowing TTYs.
>
> Yeah, I guess I should've started with that :) I love Unix for the
> console.

But in Plan9, the console is assumed to be a bitmap device.  Perhaps
with the exception of, say, the file server.  But there is no reason
why that has to be the case - certainly not on modern "file server"
hardware.  It's just an artifact of how cpurc is set up.  It's
trivially changable, should you desire to.

--lyndon