[TUHS] Unix source code archive in the news

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Sun Oct 7 11:28:37 AEST 2018

On Saturday, October 6, 2018, William Corcoran <wlc at jctaylor.com> wrote:

> Half the programmers in this world could not code themselves out of a
> brown paper bag.  Sounds more like a software sewer than a great work of
> art.
>
> Bill Corcoran

Exactly my thoughts too.  Code inflation[1] is a huge problem today.  There
was a day when one person could understand the whole UNIX kernel... now
with millions of lines of code in Linux and FreeBSD I don't think this is
possible anymore and definitely it is not fun.  That is why you see more
and more paid code in Linux -- who else would like to debug this bloated
monster it became just for fun... like back in the days.

Programming these days (especially in bussiness sector with projects
written in C++ or Java) is not fun and I feel sorry for those poor people
that must maintain such projects.

We need to come back to simple and minimalistic systems, otherwise we will
all be buried soon underneath terabytes of unmaintainable bloated code...

--Andy

[1] Code Inflation, Gerald J Holzmann
https://www.computer.org/cms/Computer.org/ComputingNow/issues/2015/04/mso2015020010.pdf