[TUHS] The origin of /home

David Arnold davida at pobox.com
Thu Oct 11 12:33:30 AEST 2018

Some (most?) Linux distributions have followed Solaris’ lead, and put all of /bin into /usr/bin, and /sbin into /usr/sbin, and then symlinked /bin to /usr/bin (and /sbin to /usr/sbin) to make everything effectively available in both locations.

Some rationale here: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/ <https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/>

Most (all?) Linux distributions never followed the "should be static, needed for boot to runlevel 1", logic for /bin & /sbin anyway, so the locations were largely based on a perception of traditional or most common location anyway.  sh was thus in /bin, while env was in /usr/bin, for example.