[TUHS] Ultrix Tape: Block Size?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Wed Oct 17 03:34:08 AEST 2018

But Paul's comment is still right on - the controller for both was a 1MHz
i8085 and just could not keep up.
I hated both .. its' too bad DEC refused to use QIC.   They did eventually
use 4mm DAT on an SCSI (and actually OEM'ed the drive from HP it turns
out).   The 8mm [Exabyte Unit] was from CSS and many of us in UNIX land had
them on our Alpha's - Tru64 supports as a 'latent' device - but the
politics of the day were TK-50 and TK-70 was the DEC official drive.

It's interesting until DEC sold off the team and DLT  to Quantum, it was
not very popular except at VMS sites since the Unix world knew that the
SCSI driver had full support for the standard devices.   To Quantum credit,
they redid the controller (put in a 68K IIRC) and life got much better.

But it was always way more expensive than QIC, 4 or 8 mm.

Clem
ᐧ