[TUHS] IBM Mach 3.0 Ports

Kevin Bowling kevin.bowling at kev009.com
Sun Oct 21 07:56:19 AEST 2018

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 10:19 AM Jason Stevens
<jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com> wrote:

> I’ve been trying to chase down something usable from CMU Mach for way too long.  I think the afs project is largely on auto-pilot for the last 20+ years, and whatever is accessible is, and whatever isn’t is either lost or locked up with accounts that have moved on in one way or another.
>

> The only sizable release of Mach of the era is on the 4th CD of the CSRG releases.  And it’s far from any buildable state, that I could really see.
>

> Forever ago there was an effort to get Mach 4 + Lites running and I did get it running kind of by accident.  I never could rebuild it from source.  Maybe I’m just missing something.  But it’s not intuitive at all.  I guess it’s like the MT XINU Mach for the i386, basically it was a thing but no copies seem to have survived.
>

> I guess IBM would be scared of people seeing either RS/6000 or the prior ROMP/RT architecture code, and people running their own OS’s.  Much like the MacMach port.  I tried asking the MachTen people about buying their source but they only have binaries on CD.

Probably not the reason, these machines were fully and publicly
documented.  In fact, there is still a book in print on the ROS
residual data and firmware runtime services.  Most of the register
info was in "Hardware Technical Information" manuals that were
publicly ordered from IBM Publications (I have these).  And in fact I
provided this info and it was used to bring up NetBSD in the mid
2000s.