[TUHS] System III on 11/34 + rl02

Jacob Ritorto jacob.ritorto at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 11:22:51 AEST 2018

I did run 2.9bsd on this machine and I like it better, but the distro
struggles to fit on (4) rl02s and then can't recompile itself due to lack
of space.

The System III idea is kind of homage to my Solaris years and for bragging
rights to my teenage friends who know nothing but Linux (and I kinda feel
(as a stretch) like Linux is in the System III line).  That said, I'd was
originally going for System V, but when I recompiled it under the emulator,
I found out that it requires separate I&D, so the 11/34 is out; System III
is next closest.  Eventually I'll be doing this same exercise on mt split
11/45 and then have some serious bragging rights :)

I sure hope there's a pdp11 sdcard / usb disk solution someday like they
did for the Commodore 64 - I could even pay a little for it.  And for some
clever kernel optimizing hack that'll let me run a tcp/ip stack on my poor
little-address-space 11/45 so I can telnet to it with 2.11bsd.

I'm totally in the market for an Able Enable board too!  Out of curiosity,
is it totally out of the question to just find the prints and do a
production run?  I mean if we got 100 people in at a hundred each, wouldn't
that cover it?  There's enough interest in vintage now that that headcount
could realistically happen.