[TUHS] Reconstructed and newly set UNIX Manual

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sun Oct 28 02:25:54 AEST 2018

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 11:53:20AM -0400, Clem Cole wrote:
> At the time, the primary fonts kicking around (the Arpanet) were the Hershey
> Fonts <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hershey_fonts> (which were vector
> fonts for CRTs).

Oh, man, do I remember them.  While better than nothing, they left a lot
to be desired.

> That said, in those days my eye was not trained enough to see a many of the
> differences.   But some production oriented folks (like Tim O'Reilly) used
> to complain that is the AT&T output (CAT4) was different from what the
> Imagen*** produced [which was the first large scale 'laser printer'
> replacement after the Bensen Varian (/dev/va) and other 'wet' plotters].

A friend of mine (cc-ed), used to really care about this stuff.  I can
still remember him getting out an eye loup and looking at the apple laser
printer output.  I can't remember if he liked it or was disappointed
but he cared.