[TUHS] SunOS code?

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Sat Sep 1 09:02:36 AEST 2018

On 8/31/2018 5:58 PM, Larry McVoy wrote:

> Solaris was Sys Vr4 (which, if I recall correctly, differed from r3
> largely due to some stuff being ported over from SunOS).  Both the kernel
> and user space went to a Sys V compat system, it no longer felt anything
> like BSD.

I would be very interested in anyone's recollections of how Solaris
eventually turned out performance-wise, say version 9+, compared to
other operating systems. SunOS, Linux, AIX, etc.

I find it's about equal, and even exceeds Linux in terms of it's NUMA
support and multi-processor support. I need to move some systems away
from Solaris and off to Linux, and I find it's NUMA support lacking in
certain ways.

ak