[TUHS] SunOS code?

Theodore Y. Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Sat Sep 1 13:23:18 AEST 2018

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 06:57:41PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:

> But all that said, you need to be specific about what perf you care
> about.  These days the kernel is far more complicated, NUMA etc,
> and you might care about parallel make (I doubt it) or you might care
> about Oracle or something like that.

It wouldn't surprise me if Solaris was more scalable for gazillion
dollar SMP machines with a huge number of cores.  That was one of the
reason as I recall why Solaris had a reputation of being slow; being
scalable to big (and much more profitable) servers was considered more
important than the smaller systems that were probably more numerous
(but not nearly as profitable).

					- Ted