[TUHS] UNIX System names - since UNIX was a Trademark

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Sep 1 17:37:46 AEST 2018

On Fri, 31 Aug 2018, Nemo wrote:

> (I think everyone said Slowlaris.  Even the guys from Sun who first
> demo'd dtrace and how it was used to speed up their system calls.)

I've always called it Slowaris, mostly because my stutter stops me from
pronouncing words starting with "r" or "l" (it comes out as "w").

And yes, I've seen "Life of Brian", and I can relate to it :-)  "Welease
Woger" etc...

Oddly enough, I can pronounce "r" and "l" if preceded by a hard consonant,
so I dunno...

For the morbidly curious, I was born left-handed, and, err, "encouraged"
to use my right hand back in kindergarten, which apparently completely
fscked up my neural connections.  As a result, I write right-handed,
bat/bowl/throw left-handed, and am pretty much ambidextrous otherwise.

Oh, and I also trained myself to use a mouse in my left hand (in
right-hand mode, and in my SunOS days too!) which is apparently quite
common amongst the righties; after all, why waste a perfectly good hand?
It's hilarious watching someone letting go of the mouse to write something
down, then back to the mouse again...

-- Dave