[TUHS] SunOS code?

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Sun Sep 2 03:17:59 AEST 2018

On 9/1/2018 12:27 PM, Kevin Bowling wrote:
>> I find it's about equal, and even exceeds Linux in terms of it's NUMA
>> support and multi-processor support. I need to move some systems away from
>> Solaris and off to Linux, and I find it's NUMA support lacking in certain
>> ways.
> This is pure fantasy.  To understand Linux performance on high core
> count and multi-socket machines is to have at least passing knowledge
> of Paul McKenney's genius work on RCU [1] and NUMA [2] at Sequent [3]
> and on Linux.  IBM bought Sequent, made a favorable patent grant of
> RCU for Linux, and the rest history.

Thanks :) - I'm basing this on Oracle database performance, for the most
part, and it's weird way of supporting NUMA on Linux in a bass-ackwards
sort of way. Nothing I see in the latest RedHat/CentOS tells me it even
cares about NUMA, but maybe that's more of their "we know better than
you" mentality and it's all hidden under the covers somewhere.

ak