[TUHS] UNIX System names - since UNIX was a Trademark

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Mon Sep 3 11:14:07 AEST 2018

On Sat, 1 Sep 2018, Paul Winalski wrote:

> On 9/1/18, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>>
>> Oh, and I also trained myself to use a mouse in my left hand (in
>> right-hand mode, and in my SunOS days too!) which is apparently quite
>> common amongst the righties; after all, why waste a perfectly good hand?
>> It's hilarious watching someone letting go of the mouse to write something
>> down, then back to the mouse again...
>
> I'm left-handed but I trained myself to use a mouse in my right hand,
> for the reason you point out--I still have my dominant hand free to
> write things down.  It also means that when I'm using someone else's
> machine, most of the time their mouse is configured the way I'm used
> to.

At the risk of making a 'me too' post (especially these days) I am also
left handed and trained myself to use a mouse right handed for both of the
reasons you mention.

Left handedness is very well studied so I wondered if there were any
studies on this.

While looking I found one that argues that numeric keypads and using the
mouse on the right don't mix.  Maybe time to run with a keyboard with no
numeric keypad again.[1]

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14985137

[1] As a leftie it's on the wrong side anyway.

Rob