[TUHS] cat -v and other complaints

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Tue Sep 4 06:08:41 AEST 2018

On Sep 3, 2018, at 11:11 AM, Kurt H Maier <khm at sciops.net> wrote:

> I still dislike Acme for basically all the same reasons I dislike emacs.

What text editor do you like?

One measure of success of a program is additional tools people build
to work with it. By that measure emacs has succeeded very well. Acme
is used by far fewer people but it too has had additional tools built. And
even standard tools such as grep work well with it. You can also view it
as an experiment and not an end product. That is, nothing to prevent
anyone from extending it or changing it. The same is true of plan9 too.
An experiment in seeing how far “representing resources as filesystems”
model can be pushed. But for some reason this never happened.