[TUHS] Public access multics

Jeffrey H. Johnson trnsz at pobox.com
Tue Sep 4 12:47:46 AEST 2018

Yes, correct - I don't want to bring the list too off-topic, but Unisys (UNIVAC + Burroughs) still maintains those two platforms (OS 2000 from the UNIVAC line and MCP from Burroughs), and they have a hobbyist program for both systems.

https://www.unisys.com/offerings/clearpath-forward/clearpath-forward-products/clearpath-os-2200-software/clearpath-os-2200-express

and

https://www.unisys.com/offerings/clearpath-forward/clearpath-forward-products/clearpath-mcp-software/clearpath-mcp-express

Unisys has also released older versions of MCP (1970s) as well with less restrictive licensing, and the community has built an emulator capable of running them on an emulated B5500 system - http://www.phkimpel.us/B5500/

The Burroughs MCP name supposedly inspired the MCP villain in TRON as well.

I've never used Burroughs Algol nor Honeywell Algol, but I am aware you can use Honeywell Algol on Multics via gcos_tss (the GCOS Time Sharing Simulator).

-- Jeff