[TUHS] Saving the Unix Bits

William Pechter pechter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 06:53:43 AEST 2018

One thing I'd like to see saved for the historical value is Pyramid OS/x.
It was one of those things I'd have liked to see the internals of -- but I
wasn't supposed to have that level accesss in Ed Services.

It is an interesting mix of both the SysV and BSD environments and it's a
shame it's probably completely gone now.

I think the last work on it may have been at Siemens, since I think the
last bit of Pyramid that was left was rumored to
go to SVR4 (I was there for the DC/OSx transition -- I worked on the
courseware fixes and beta testing).

I heard from a friend that they may have gone to Solaris before the end
hit.  I think they were swallowed by Fujitsu.

Amazingly, I heard some of my SVR4 courseware stuff ended up in
illustrations used in Solaris courseware.  My name was in the illustration
of the password file.  A trainer hired at least 5 years after me went to
Sun and I hear some of my stuff went along for the ride.

I long wished they had done the full Linux dual universe thing on a *BSD
varient.

I'd be running FreeBSD on my desktop if I could just watch Netflix with
it.  Linux, Windows and MacOS have enough pull for Google to port their
Widevine

Bill

--
  d|i|g|i|t|a|l had it THEN.  Don't you wish you could still buy it now!
 pechter-at-gmail.com