[TUHS] Usenix: no official Unix 50th celebration, apparently

Diomidis Spinellis dds at aueb.gr
Thu Sep 6 07:31:15 AEST 2018

On 26/08/2018 07:10, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
[...]
> The question I would raise is whether some kind of 50th celebration
> has to be colocated with Usenix ATC, especially if the Usenix BoD is
> not innterested in lending much in the way of financial or staff
> support.  For example, maybe something combined with some kind of
> fund-raising event held at the Compute History Museum in the Bay Area?
>
> Or perhaps the Linux Foundation might be willing to do a Unix 50th
> celebration at their 2019 Open Source Summit event?
>
> It does seem to me that Usenix ought to have the right of first
> refusal to host such a celebration, but if the Board isn't willing to
> step it up, there are other possibilities that could be explored.

One possibility might be to propose a "50th Unix Anniversary" Developer
Room at FOSDEM 2019 [1].  FOSDEM is a free event for software developers
to meet, share ideas and collaborate.  It takes place every year with
thousands of developers of free and open source software from all over
the world gathering in Brussels.

Our room can be used to host presentations related to topics such as the
Unix history, the 50th anniversary, and the reconstruction efforts of
historic editions.  The many *BSD and Linux folks that attend FOSDEM
together with thousands of other open source aficionados provide an
excellent audience for our event.  We can also combine the presentations
with a TUHS stand where we can display running historic software.

The deadline for room proposals is September 20th and for stands
November 2nd [2].  FOSDEM is entirely organized by volunteers and
attendance is free without registration.  We don't have to pay anything
for the room and the stand, but we also can't expect any funding from
the organizers for flying people in.

[1] https://fosdem.org/2019/
[2] https://fosdem.org/2019/news/2018-08-10-call-for-participation/

Diomidis