[TUHS] SPARC is CRAPS spelled backwards.

A. P. Garcia a.phillip.garcia at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 05:49:28 AEST 2018

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018, 2:37 PM Don Hopkins <don at donhopkins.com> wrote:

> Its register windows have spilled out into the SCRAP heap of history.
> But to its credit, the SPARCSTATION represents PANTISOCRACY with NO RACIST
> PAST.
> It ROASTS CATNIP for SATANIC SPORT with no PARTISAN COST.
> It can create a CAT SOPRANIST with a CASTRATO SNIP.

In trying to steer this word salad towards some semblance of meaningful
discussion, is SPARC dead? Practically, yes, I would say so. Or at least it
seems to be heading in that direction. Is RISC dead? Not at all. ARM is
doing quite well, and the old "CISC vs RISC" thing seems to be a non-issue
now, as even the current x86 processors have adopted many design features
that originated in RISC research.

The saddest thing about the death of SPARC, in my opinion, is that it
likely also means the death of the most advanced OS with "true" UNIX roots.
CDDL was ostensibly chosen to prevent Linux from cannibalizing the best
parts of Solaris. But it only seems to have slowed that down.