[TUHS] SPARC is CRAPS spelled backwards.

Theodore Y. Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Thu Sep 27 01:03:52 AEST 2018

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 06:46:20AM +0000, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
> Peter Jeremy wrote:
> > the 8080 was an upgraded 8008
>
> Also note the 8008 instruction set originated at Compuer Terminal
> Corporation (later Datapoint), for use as a text terminal controller.
> I'd say it's an OK design for that purpose...

That's not that only CPU for which this was true.  The IBM PC/RT
(e.g., the 6150) CPU was originally designed to be used as a
typewriter controller.  It was a RISC design which was approximately 3
times faster than a Microvax, which meant that it was quite popular
for students using MIT's Project Athenna who needed to run Scribe or
TeX/LaTeX.  :-)

					- Ted