[TUHS] The origin of /home

John P. Linderman jpl.jpl at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 23:54:29 AEST 2018

More opinion, unencumbered by facts. /usr contained many sudirectories,
like /usr/bin and /usr/lib, that were essential to an operational OS. Home
directories, on the other hand, persisted unchanged when new releases of an
OS were installed. Some of us had symlinks from /usr into a separate file
system to make the distinction easier to maintain across releases.