[TUHS] The origin of /home

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Sep 28 09:14:19 AEST 2018

    > My memory is that the term "home directory" predates /home - perhaps on
    > other OS's such as TOPS-20, but I don't have time to research that.

Well, I looked at the "Introduction to MIT-XX" (a TOPS-20 machine), and it
also used the terms "logged-in directory" (home dir) and "connected directory"
(current dir).

I couldn't find any use of 'home' in the V6 documentation.

I _did_ find "home directory" in the ITS documentation; the oldest doc file I
found it in was dated 5/25/79. If ITS was the source, not sure how it spread -
maybe via EMACS?

       Noel