[TUHS] The origin of /home

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Sat Sep 29 03:28:01 AEST 2018

On 9/28/2018 12:15 PM, Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote:
> On 09/28/2018 10:02 AM, Nemo wrote:
>> This is a bit late but Solaris uses /export/home by default.
>
> I disagree.
>
> Or at least not as such.
>
> Many Solaris systems I've used have put homes in /export/home. But
> they are /NOT/ supposed to be used /directly/ as the home directory.
> The intention that they would be NFS exports and that said export
> would be auto mounted to /home.
>
> The /export/home is really the /export/ point, /not/ the location that
> is supposed to be used.

Solaris 10 u10:

beef / # useradd asdf
beef / # grep asdf /etc/passwd
asdf:x:504:1::/home/asdf:/bin/sh

Solaris 11.3:
medusa# useradd asdf
medusa# grep asdf /etc/passwd
asdf:x:65540:10::/export/home/asdf:/usr/bin/bash

When creating a user on Solaris 11, because it requires you to install a
regular user because you can't login directly as root, it creates the
home directory in /export/home

Interesting. To be honest, I did not expect Solaris 10 to use /home as
the default.