[TUHS] Paper discussing Unix boot process?

Erik E. Fair fair-tuhs at netbsd.org
Thu Apr 11 12:26:30 AEST 2019

Pat,

I still know a few people from the 36-bit world so I could put you in touch, but if you really want people to understand primitives, you might want to start with a simpler model, e.g., 16-bit minicomputers like the DEC PDP-11 (smaller models), the DG Nova, perhaps the original mc68000 (no MMU or FPU on-chip in that).

Once you add MMUs to the picture, life gets a lot more complicated, and I'm pretty sure the typical applications programmer doesn't really need to know that class of details, but going for PDP-10 (more "mainframe-ish" system) is going to take them there.

	Erik