[TUHS] Who's behind the UNIX filesystem permission implementation

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Aug 1 03:58:40 AEST 2019

FWIW: Before TOPS, there was MIT's CTSS.   The DEC Project, Programmer
Number (a.k.a. PPN) idea seems to have been similar to the People and *Problem
Number* idea of CTSS, which allowed for directories of your own files and
as well as your group (shared problem number). As Rodrigo pointed out
Multics also had a form of ACLs (UNIX used ACL's just very simplified ones).

So I'm not sure where to pin this specific idea.  I think it was a bit like
a lot of CS ideas, different people were playing with different aspects of
different ideas at the time, and brillance of Ken and Dennis was putting
some of the *best ideas *of the day *together* and adding a few of their
own into a simple implementation that was good enough to do real work.

Clem