[TUHS] Who's behind the UNIX filesystem permission implementation

Ben Greenfield ben at cogs.com
Thu Aug 1 05:34:44 AEST 2019

In the Sun System Administration class you got to bring a system up from nothing which included mucking with inodes. I believe I was taught that Sun implemented ACLS by assigning to inodes to a file. The first inode was assigned the unix permissions and the second inode was assigned the acls permissions and there was some backend mechanism that kept both inodes referring to a single file.

It was a week long class and I found it the best unix experience. I all machine and no users:)

Ben