[TUHS] Pre-init initialization

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Aug 8 23:43:15 AEST 2019

On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 12:40 PM Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> This obviated the need to copy a filesystem to a new disk's swap space and
> then use that to really install the system.

Thanks for the reminder.   I don't remember if V7 on the PDP-11 used the
swap space (but I don't think so). That said, I fairly sure that by BSD 4.1
the boot loader did, which I think is when that trick was first added to
boot phase.

Again, it was all about trying to get rid of the special /stand version of
things.   Funny, history would move on and we come back to that idea with
busybox 🤔