[TUHS] If not Linux, then what?

Jason Stevens jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com
Wed Aug 28 14:30:02 AEST 2019

Maybe that plan B of GNU using the 4.4BSD lite kernel would have gained traction and you would have seen a GNU BSD vs NetBSD thing.

I can’t see it though gaining the kind of traction Linux got as it was all so cloistered.  Much like how GNU Mach never caught on or moved despite having a NetBSD port (Lites) to it.  The killer feature should have been SMP which was available early on in Mach, although it seems that the MPS 1.0 stuff didn’t work well enough or by the time 1.1 caught on it just wasn’t good enough.

I think the development model of Linux is what really drove it, just like how EGCS eclipsed GCC.

The other crazy thing that hits me is that no Linux means no Caldera which means no Caldera 32v license being set free...