[TUHS] If not Linux, then what?

Michael Kjörling michael at kjorling.se
Wed Aug 28 19:50:59 AEST 2019

On 28 Aug 2019 11:36 +0200, from angus at fairhaven.za.net (Angus Robinson):
> I think another question would be, if Linux was never invented, what
> technologies would never have happened.

I think that if there is a need to be filled, then something will fill
that need. In our timeline, in plenty of cases that need ended up
being filled by Linux -- quite possibly not in least part because it's
there, it's cheap, it's reasonably well-supported, and it can be
modified and extended by end users relatively easily. However, absent
Linux, as long as the task still needed to be done, _something else_
would have filled the need at some point.

Plenty of people got interested in the technology/information
technology sector well before Linux. Maybe Linux offered a venue for
some of those people to _express_ their interest, but I have a hard
time seeing why Linux would be a prerequisite.

On another note, and to get back to the original question, I'm a
little surprised that nobody here seems to have mentioned something
like an outgrowth of Minix.

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.semichael at kjorling.se
  “The most dangerous thought that you can have as a creative person
              is to think you know what you’re doing.” (Bret Victor)