[TUHS] If not Linux, then what?

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Thu Aug 29 00:31:40 AEST 2019

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 09:52:42AM -0400, Clem Cole wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 12:06 AM Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>
> > I could be wrong but that's my memory.  What he told me was streams was
> > for line disciplines for tty drivers.
> >

> Rob - this syncs with what Dennis I had talked about too *i.e.* Using
> streams for the serial interface; as the line disciplines stuff was a mess
> by that point.  I cannt say I remember talking to him about using streams
> for networking.

If my memory is right, I would have talked to Dennis about it around
1987 or early 1988.  Is it possible that was before they did networking
in streams?

Maybe I have the dates wrong but my guess is I talked to him about it
before the networking stuff was done in research Unix.  So his view
may have evolved.