[TUHS] dmr streams & networking [was: Re: If not Linux, then what?]

Adam Thornton athornton at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 04:05:26 AEST 2019

Interesting.  In my head, v7 is kind of the pinnacle of what you should run
on a PDP-11 (yes, I know 2.11BSD is still maintained), but that once you
add a networking stack, the 16-bit address limitations really start to
hurt, no matter how clever you are with your overlays.  But when I think of
v7, in my mind it's running on an 11/70.

I also find the multilayer switching described in the streams networking
implementation a lot like "inetd, all the way down."  That's kinda nifty.

Adam