[TUHS] If not Linux, then what?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 06:05:56 AEST 2019

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 at 15:55, Peter Jeremy <peter at rulingia.com> wrote:

> On 2019-Aug-28 11:37:51 -0400, Richard Salz <rich.salz at gmail.com> wrote:
> >I think the biggest difference would have been no git and therefore no
> >github, etc.
>
> But there are other open SCM tools and it's likely there would be another
> site serving similar functionality.  As an example. Google offered a
> code-sharing site for many years.

I was not a particularly early adopter of Git; I was already a couple years
into usage of darcs.

A one-time colleage, Graydon Hoare, was one of the designers of Monotone,
which definitely influenced Git.  (He's more recently known for the Rust
language, and presently works at Apple on their Swift language.)  Arch,
Bazaar (bzr), Mercurial (hg), Codeville were also out there at the time.

It's rather interesting that Git happened to "win" that particular war;
there were various DSCM systems with similar (and dissimilar) capabilities
emerging in around 2003-2005.  Various were reasonably "production worthy."

Indeed, it's quite fair to say that at the time Git emerged, there was a
very active set of competing distributed SCMs out there.