[TUHS] dmr streams & networking [was: Re: If not Linux, then what?]

Lawrence Stewart stewart at serissa.com
Thu Aug 29 13:29:02 AEST 2019

> On 2019, Aug 28, at 1:57 PM, Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>

>> How long was research running on a PDP-11 and when did they move to a VAX?
>
> London and Reiser had ported Unix to the VAX, replete with virtual memory, in 1978. By the time v7 was released (1979), Vaxen had become the workhorse machines in Research.
>
> Doug

I’ve always been a little curious about how Reiser (John Reiser, not Hans!) came to port Unix.  I had heard of him from his PhD Dissertation which was something like 35 pages long for Knuth (!) on random number generators.  He finished at Stanford in 1977 and in 1978 he was porting Unix?  How did that happen?

-L