[TUHS] If not Linux, then what?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Aug 29 21:12:38 AEST 2019

Adam Thornton <athornton at gmail.com> wrote:

> I fear that had Linux not made the leap, MS might well have won.  It's
> largely the AOL-fuelled explosion of popularity of the Internet and Windows
> ignoring same until too late that opened the door enough for Linux to jam
> its foot in.

I started work at Demon Internet in 1997. Its origins before 1992 were in
SCO / Xenix consultancy, but by the time I joined the ISP systems were
mostly flavours of BSD and Sun. My colleagues didn't think Linux was
sufficiently good at networking, and I got the impression that was a
relatively common opinion in ISP circles around 1995/6. That kind of
suggests to me that Unix would have been helped by the rise of the
Internet even without Linux...

Tony.
Shannon: Southwest 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8 for a time. Rough or very
rough. Rain. Good, becoming moderate or poor.