[TUHS] dmr streams & networking [was: Re: If not Linux, then what?]

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Aug 31 06:39:09 AEST 2019

On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 4:22 PM Norman Wilson <norman at oclsc.org> wrote:

> It had to do with maintainability:
> there were already people who could come in and hack on the
> Berkeley system, as well as more using it and maintaining it,
> whereas Reiser's system had become a unicorn.  Nobody in
> 1127 wanted to maintain a VM system or anything much close
> to the VAX hardware.  So the decision was to stick with a
> kernel for which someone else would do those things.

Norman, I suspect the folks in 1127 was really not different the CS-Dept at
UCB in fact.  The whole reason CSRG wound down (and that was before wnj
left BTW) is the project stopped being research and started to have a
maintainence flavor which a lot of people found distasteful.

Funny, one of the things that I think made BSD the most useful, and *really
where wnj made his contribution IMO,* was the all the 'completors' between
things like the #ifdef FAST_VAX work and autoconfiguration, all the new
device support, *etc*.  That was a huge amount of work not very sexy work
that made 4.1BSD in particular, 'just work'   I had had the out-of-box
experience with all of V5 in RK05s, V6 and V7 on 9-track tape, earlier.
 4.1BSD was a dream, really not much to do but role the tape and answer
questions.

I can see why people liked that.    I remember a lot of people complaining
about the BSD VM system, but it worked 'good enough.'  I can tell you when
we did the Masscomp system (and the first thing I worked on was the VM
system with tjt), even thought we had started with a System III kernel
(that was our license), we pulled Joy's code in for the VM pretty early.
The first thing Tom and I did is made it 'MP-safe' (big lock scheme to be
honest) but we were interested in debugging the locking code, not the VM
system.  It's true when we did Stellar and had V.3, we used the AT&T VM
base by that point and started over, used a fine grain locking model
etc...., but by we knew how to make a MP UNIX box by then (remember the
MC-500/DP was the first MP Unix >>product<< -- predates our friends in on
the West coast by 2 years).