[TUHS] Origins of PPP

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Dec 6 05:41:02 AEST 2019

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 9:40 AM Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

>  What was common was the SLIP line discipline code under the covers, but
> how the line got set up to start running it was different.  The original
> SLIP 'kit' from Harvard/MIT lacked anything like PPPD to start and was sort
> of ad hoc. I think originally it used a program called 'chat' that had been
> pulled out uucico that set things up then exec'ed the SLIP stuff; but
> chat(1) may have been round 2 or 3.   I've forgotten the name of the
> original daemon, I bet it you look in the Usenet archives from 82-84 and
> look for 'SLIP' you find a couple of things.

There never was a slipd, at least in this time frame. The chat program
would login to the remote system, start SLIP on the remote end, then run a
program that effectively put the slip line discipline into place and then
maybe did an ifconfig. It was hit dinosaur over head with club level of
sophistication, if it was that advanced...

Warner