[TUHS] Gaming on early Unix

A. P. Garcia a.phillip.garcia at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 00:23:01 AEST 2019

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 5:52 AM Gabriel Diaz <gdiaz at qswarm.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Source code has been published of some early games.
>
> Were those games playable on Unix machines at the time? What was your favourite game?
>

> https://kryptonradio.com/2019/04/18/zork-source-code-presumed-lost-forever-has-been-uploaded-to-github/
>

> Gabi

Ken Thompson has made a number of significant contributions to
computer chess, but I'm not familiar with chess programs that ran on
early Unix. The earliest and most influential game that originated on
Unix was probably rogue, which was included in 4.2 BSD. Another early
and influential game was Colossal Cave Adventure, but that didn't run
on Unix, AFAIK.