[TUHS] Gaming on early Unix

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 02:54:13 AEST 2019

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 11:40 AM Richard Salz <rich.salz at gmail.com> wrote:

> There was another multiplayer game called “Search” that would result
>> around 4:30 in the afternoon someone yelling “Search Up” which was
>> everybody’s cue to join in the game.

Was that "hunt" that came with BSD 4-something?

I remember playing hunt. It used some kind of UDP-based protocol, if I
recall correctly. There was a `huntd` you could run out of inetd that
people connected to.

For some reason, I'd thought that one player ran `hunt` in some special
"server" mode, but I guess I'm misremembering. But that led me to wonder
whether the person running in "server" mode had an advantage due to
(network) locality. IF there were similar games that behaved in such a
fashion, it would be a valid concern.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Space Travel.

        - Dan C.