[TUHS] Gaming on early Unix

Adam Thornton athornton at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 11:28:57 AEST 2019

Well, OK, there's one other wrinkle.  Building Frotz on 4.3BSD (or
whatever) on a VAX would be easy, because you have a 32-bit address space.
But the Z-machine can address 64Kwords (plus some trickiness for access
strings in high memory) so you'd have to actually implement a segmented
memory model or overlays or something to squeeze it into a PDP-11.  Which
is obviously doable--after all, the Z-machine was designed to be
implemented on 8-bit micros!--but means that porting Frotz might be more
work than just writing a new interpreter, and supporting the later, larger
games (Infocom used the v5 format, which doubled the size and required 128K
even on 8-bit systems, and a lot of the post-Infocom community work--before
the community went to Glulx, which is a
32-bit-inspired-by-the-z-machine-virtual-machine-for-text-adventures--used
z8, which doubled the size again) is going to be harder.

Jimmy Maher has just been talking about the evolution of the Z-machine over
on filfre.net.  It's well worth reading.

Adam