[TUHS] Blit source

Paul Ruizendaal pnr at planet.nl
Wed Dec 18 13:53:53 AEST 2019

Further to the below, I’ve now tried to build the Blit toolchain (on a contemporary OS). Other than the usual little issues, it does not take too much effort to get running.

Rebuilding the rom contents using the pre-existing libraries builds the exact same bits, however here is also where the good stuff ends: this only assembles two files, compiles vitty.c and the rest is library; rebuilding the libraries is different.

The roms rely on four libaries (libsys, libj, liblayer and libc) and none of the four rebuild to the exact same bytes or size. In several cases the archives do not even have the exact same files in them. In general, the regenerated object files often appear to be a little smaller (even when compiled with optimization off). So far I cannot tell whether this is because the compiler is different, or because the underlying source code is different. Probably a bit of both.

So, it would seem that an adapted rom can be compiled, but how functional it would be remains to be seen.

The note about the missing compiler remains intriguing. First a correction: I associate “ccom” with the DMR compiler, as it lives in a directory by that name; I had not realized that pcc also names its main binary ccom. Beyond that it would seem that two different versions of this 68K compiler were floating around and maybe the surviving one puts different debug info in the symbol table.