[TUHS] Archeology: AberMUD, BCPL, ec.

Doug McIlroy doug at cs.dartmouth.edu
Fri Feb 1 14:47:09 AEST 2019

> I have tried to OCR program listings before, with rather
> poor results.

I OCR'd a sizable manuscript written on a pretty shabby portable typewriter.

I scanned each page twice, making sure to move the paper between scans.
Then I ran both diff (by words, not lines) and spell to smoke out trouble.
The word list for a program listing is quite short and easy to generate.
(Print a list of all the apparent words and visually eliminate the nonsense.)
And a spell check is an easy pipeline of standard utilities.

doug