[TUHS] DEC and Dave Cutler (was Re: The John Snow's of the UNIX family)

Cág ca6c at bitmessage.ch
Mon Feb 4 05:57:52 AEST 2019

[replying to a wrong message, please excuse]

Larry McVoy wrote:
> Yeah, HPUX/IRIX/AIX/Solaris/etc are all dead so far as I know, but
> the basic Unix model lives on in Linux.  I wish one of the decent Unix
> variants was still vibrant just so Linux doesn't get complacent.

While Solaris development is apparently ceased, at least according to
Mr. Simon Phipps, Hockey Pucks and AIX are alive, Wikipedia says.
The problem could be that neither support amd64 and/or nobody cares
about commercial Unix systems anymore.

As far as commercial systems go, even CentOS has a far larger market
share on the supercomputer territory than RHEL does, according to
TOP500.

Regarding Solaris, even new releases are getting out quite regularly,
I don't think it has changed a bit since late 2000s-early 2010s.

--
caóc