[TUHS] Commercial UNIX was other stuff before

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Mon Feb 4 08:20:59 AEST 2019

On Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 4:10 PM Cág <ca6c at bitmessage.ch> wrote:

> I wish I could say that.  I feel like nobody needs Fortran anymore, and
> my skills are being wasted.

FYI - the last time I saw the numbers, about 75-85% of the production at
CERN was Fortran.  This is very similar to the USA's high energy labs.  I
have not seen the numbers of the Darmstadt European space folks, but I
would not be surprised if they are much different than NASA's.   That was a
little lower, but the heavy supercomputer codes NASA uses are still very
much Fortran dominate.

Finding good Fortran programmers can be difficult.  Most today are from the
natural sciences (like was true in the 50s before we created 'Computer
Science'), but there are still lots of jobs if you know it.  But I suspect
that those jobs are going to be near campuses that support heavy science
types.
ᐧ