[TUHS] OSI stack (Was: Posters)

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Feb 7 09:18:52 AEST 2019

    > From: Kevin Bowling

    > I think TCP was a success because of BSD/UNIX rather than its own
    > merits.

Nope. The principle reason for TCP/IP's success was that it got there first,
and established a user community first. That advantage then fed back, to
increase the lead.

Communication protocols aren't like editors/OS's/yadda-yadda. E.g. I use
Epsilon - but the fact that few others do isn't a problem/issue for me. On the
other hand, if I designed, implemented and personally adopted the world's best
communication protocol... so what? There'd be nobody to talk to.

That's just _one_ of the ways that communication systems are fundamentally
different from other information systems.

	Noel