[TUHS] OSI stack (Was: Posters)

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Feb 7 11:03:22 AEST 2019

    > From: Kevin Bowling

    > t just doesn't mesh with what I understand

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood your point.

Anyway, this is getting a little far afield for TUHS, so at some point it
would be better to move to the 'internet-history' list if you want to explore
it in depth. But a few more...

    > Is it fair to say most of the non-gov systems were UNIX during the next
    > handful of years?

I assume you mean 'systems running TCP/IP'? If so, I really don't know,
because for a while during that approximate period one saw many internets
which weren't connected to the Internet. (Which is why the capitalization is
important, the ill-educated morons at the AP, etc notwithstanding.) I have no
good overall sense of that community, just anecdotal (plural is not 'data').

For the ones which _were_ connected to the Internet, then prior to the advent
of the DNS, inspection of the host table file(s) would give a census. After that,
I'm not sure - I seem to recall someone did some work on a census of Internet
machines, but I forget who/were.

If you meant 'systems in general' or 'systems with networking of some sort', alas
I have even less of an idea! :-)

	Noel