[TUHS] Upgrading from 11/40 to 11/45 in Unix v6

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Jan 1 00:55:31 AEST 2019

On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 10:31 PM Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you know of some commonly used at the time v6 programs that needed that
> much space?

Besides everything that Noel pointed to you too, look at 1BSD - the pascal
system needs to be seperate I/D for sure.   I believe ex is linked seperate
I/D.   The C compiler itself can be, the reason to do that it allow the
tables to be larger, so you don't run into errors where you run out of
space.

My experience from the old days, was that once you had seperate I/D, we
tended to link most programs that way if we could, as we slowly deprecated
the 11/40 class systems.    The original Tek Labs machine was an 11/60
(which is a 40 class), and was quickly replaced with an 11/70.     The 60
is what I used for the original Able Enable work that Noel referenced, so
it have 4M in it for a short period (we borrowed the memory for the
development).

But within 2 years we had a 11/44 to replace the 11/60, which was seperate
I/D system.

> > After you are booted, a 45 class machine will run 40 class binaries
> unchanged.  40 class machines can not run a.outs that are seperate I/D.
>
> Good to know.
>
> I read about this in ’Setting up Unix Sixth Edition” and I see the source
> comments. It looks pretty straightforward to configure the system for
> separate I/D. Is there any material difference between doing it at install
> time vs having run on 11/40 for a while and moving the disk over to the
> 11/45 later?

Making a system work on both could be done, but it chews up precious
address space in code that will not be executed.

Remember - what seems 'natural' for the modern user of cramming everything
into a single binary, or keeping lots of copies of things, was not done.
You lack address space, main memory or disk space.

> On a related note, how difficult is it to copy the system from rk to hp? I
> know I can rebuild, but I’m sure there’s a quicker/easier method...

Easiest method is probably grabing the v6tar binary that you described how
to make in your v6 for sim6 directionions, then use  and dual tar
programs***.  Other wise, find(1) is your friend.  That said, PWD (1.0) was
v6 based, so there is a version of cpio on the spencer_pwb.tar.gz  tape.
 That should work.

Clem

*** Note to Warren.  It might be a wise to put copies of v6tar (both
seperate I/D and not) binaries and maybe cpio(v6) on the TUHS we site in
the V6 directory; maybe, a 'collected_tools' directory.  Noel's tools would
probably make sense to add there also.  I bet people that are downloading
and playing might find them helpful.