[TUHS] Isaacson v Unix

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sat Jan 5 14:20:11 AEST 2019

    From: Doug McIlroy

    > I have heard also that Isaacson's "Idea Factory" (about Bell Labs)

I was unable to find a book of this title by Isaacson? Did you mean the work
of this title by Jon Gertner? (I have yet to pull down my copy to see what it
says about Unix - it's in another room, and I'm lazy... :-)

    > (In my recollection, McCarthy proseletized; Corbato led.)

I think that's an accurate 1-sentence summary.

    > breathes not a word about Berkeley's work, without which ARPANET would
    > have been an open circuit.

Can you elaborate on this point a bit - I'm not sure what it is you're
referring to?

    > A couple of reviews predicted it would become the standard of the
    > field.

Among people who spell 'Internet' with a lower-case 'i', perhaps it will
(sadly).

      Noel