[TUHS] Emacs

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Sun Jan 6 17:50:57 AEST 2019

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> I don't think there's any serious doubt that rms wrote the original
> Emacs, in TECO.

That's an oversimplification.  RMS may have done most of the work, but
he was not the first.  Here's some interesting reading from 1978:

https://github.com/PDP-10/its/blob/master/doc/eak/emacs.lore

Chris Hanson wrote:
> (Also, he didn’t write the original emacs. He took it over.)

That's right.

RMS is often credited with the ^R real-time display feature, but that
too originated earlier by Mikkelsen.

>> If I understand it correctly, though, he took significant
>> improvements, including screen redisplay, from Gosling Emacs.
>
> GNU emacs is not a descendant of the TECO package. What I’m referring
> to is that GNU emacs started as a set of hacks on Gosmacs, and the
> Gosmacs code had to be excised because it wasn’t actually something
> FSF could redistribute as their own.

Also correct.  I found a copy of GNU Emacs 13.8 which I believe is the
first version to be distributed.  It has the Gosling display code.