[TUHS] Isaacson v Unix [really RMS bashing]

A. P. Garcia a.phillip.garcia at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 11:29:57 AEST 2019

On Sun, Jan 6, 2019, 7:43 PM Jon Steinhart <jon at fourwinds.com wrote

<snip>

I would argue that Linux would not have happened without the internet
> making it possible for folks around the world to participate.  And I think
> that there's a good chance that the tools would have been created anyway.

That's more or less how I look at it. Back in the day there was
comp.sources.unix for example. In Unix itself, there was /usr/ where tools
developed by users other than the core developers belonged, and there was
/usr/ucb/ where they put stuff from Berkeley. The culture surrounding Unix
has always seemed to encourage outside participation, going back to the
lenient licensing of Research Unix, and even before that, when it just
existed at Murray Hill.