[TUHS] Isaacson v Unix [really RMS bashing]

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Jan 7 12:39:30 AEST 2019

On Sun, Jan 6, 2019, 7:06 PM Steve Nickolas <usotsuki at buric.co wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Jan 2019, A. P. Garcia wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 6, 2019, 7:43 PM Jon Steinhart <jon at fourwinds.com wrote
> >
> > <snip>
> >

> > I would argue that Linux would not have happened without the internet
> >> making it possible for folks around the world to participate.  And I
> think
> >> that there's a good chance that the tools would have been created
> anyway.
> >>

> > That's more or less how I look at it. Back in the day there was
> > comp.sources.unix for example. In Unix itself, there was /usr/ where
> tools
> > developed by users other than the core developers belonged, and there was
> > /usr/ucb/ where they put stuff from Berkeley. The culture surrounding
> Unix
> > has always seemed to encourage outside participation, going back to the
> > lenient licensing of Research Unix, and even before that, when it just
> > existed at Murray Hill.
> >

> If not for GNU, Unix would still have been cloned.  Net/2 happened in
> parallel, did it not?

Berkeley actively rewrote most of unix yes. Net/1 was released about the
same time GNU was getting started. Net/2 and later 4.4 BSD continued this
trend, where 4.4 was finally a complete system. BSD386 only lagged Linux by
about a year and had much stronger networking support, but supported fewer
obscure devices than linux...

Warner

Ps I know this glosses over a lot, and isn't intended to be pedantic as to
who got where first. Only they were about the same time... and I'm
especially glossing over the AT&T suits, etc.