[TUHS] TUHS Digest, Vol 38, Issue 10

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Jan 9 12:10:18 AEST 2019

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019, Warner Losh wrote:

>       i understood that this implemented the elevator algorithm, and
>       possible rotational latency compensation.
>

> I know what it does. I want to know why that specific name was selected.

Err, because as I replied in a previous message (did you not see it?), it
was up to the programmer to implement an optimal strategy to access the
sectors, depending upon the device?  I'm not being snarky, but it seems
like an obvious choice (if not a hint) to me...

Let's see, I need a strategy to optimise access, taking into account
seek and rotational latency.  I know!  I'll call it XXstrategy()!

For example, I could envisage a disk where the sectors are deliberately
not numbered sequentially i.e. they've taken rotational latency into
account for you?

Out of interest, what would you have called it?  XXaccess(), perhaps?

-- Dave