[TUHS] V6 networking & alarm syscall

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sat Jan 12 14:14:01 AEST 2019

    > From: Dave Horsfall

    > As I dimly recall ... it returns the number of characters in the input
    > queue (at that time)

Well, remember, this is the MIT V6 PDP-11 system, which had a tty driver which
had been completely re-written at MIT years before, so you'd really have to
check the MIT V6 sources to see exactly what it did. I suspect they borrowed
the name, and basic semantics, from Berkeley, but everything else - who
knows.

This user telnet is from 1982 (originally), but I was looking at the final
version, which is from 1984; the use of the ioctl was apparently a later
addition. I haven't checked to see what it did originally for reading from the
user's terminal (although the earlier version also used the 'tasking'
package).

      Noel